Friday, May 23, 2014

Have you met my friend Hieronymus?

June 8th is Pentecost Sunday and while I'll be playing something different in church I couldn't help pay a visit to a familiar friend from years past.

It was Pentecost 2004 when I first made the acquaintance of one Hieronymus Praetorius and his jovial setting of "Veni Creator Spiritus," based on the standard plainchant for the day. It sparked an interest in Renaissance organ music, which I have noticed a lot of my fellow organists do not share (!) and which has caused me to look into the organ music of also Michael and Jacob Praetorius (not necessarily all related to each other).

So this may be new for you, but I have the pleasure of renewing acquaintance with an old friend whenever I play it. It was originally part of the mono catalog from 2004-2011--in fact, I made two recordings, five years apart. Both of these went down with the old catalog when I started over in stereo in 2011, and I've been trying to fill in old literature ever since when time permits.

There are three verses--the tune is in slow motion in the pedals, for which I've used trumpets. Enjoy!

Praetorius, Hieronymus: Veni Creator Spiritus

verse 1             verse 2           verse 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't bite...mostly.